Monday, October 6, 2008

Tales of Despereaux Quotes

Emily(5) … “I thought it was good. It was really laid out well and you want to see what’s happening but you don’t want to skip ahead in the book. You’re like, oh let’s read some more, but you can’t because you are running out of time to do something and you want to see what’s going to happen but you can’t. It gets your nerves up like… oh I want to see it, I want to see it!”

Olivia (5)…. “I like how all of the characters fit in with the story. I liked how it was well-thought out. I liked Despereaux because he is adventurous.”

Thomas (5)… “It goes forward and then it goes backwards. There are three stories in one. I like it because it was about animals, mice really. I liked how rodents and people act. People don’t like them but rodents think that people are interesting and evil.”

Katie (4)… “I liked it because it had a good plot but it wasn’t like there were tons of characters. There was two different points of view, it just seemed like what different people were thinking so you could see it different ways.”

Henri (6)… “I liked it because it is about rats. It was very interesting. My favorite character was Gregory because he was the only person who was in the jail. He could see all around and knew how to get back.”

Patrick (5)… “I liked the book because it is a really good book about a little mouse that everyone treats poorly. He keeps finding new friends, like Princess Pea. I like how he talks to people and I like how he went down to the jail and didn’t really know what was down there. He was scared and he was brave.”

Avery (5)… “I liked the story because it was about mouse and I generally like those kinds of books. Despereaux was really, really brave and I like books about people who are brave also. I also liked that the mouse could read. I thought that was really interesting and how that brings up a really big part in the story. I also like how the mouse and the rat became friends. I also like the fact that Despereaux replaces his tail with a red string. I thought it was really creative.”

George (5)… “I think that the Tale of Despereaux is a good book because it is a good story. It is a book that makes you feel like you can’t close it because it is so exciting.”

Bentley (6)….” I liked the book because it was a fairy tale. It is a love story. It is three stories in one. Princess Pea is my favorite character because she is so peaceful.”

Ellye (4)…” I liked it because it was exciting and it made you wonder what was going to happen next. It is scary and fun!”

Micah (4)…”I thought that it was great because it was about a mouse who was trying to save his beloved human princess from the evil Roscuro. But then I realized all Roscuro really wanted was the light. So the princess was nice to him and they lived happily ever after.”

21 comments:

Stress Baking Grad Student said...

to Emily (5th) - I completely agree. I found it hard to put the book down because I was really interested to see what would happen next. I really liked how each section told the story from a different character's point of view and how each section added details to the previous one. What did you think of how Roscuro's character? I personally thought they were way to nice to him! I also thought the Miggery Sow's story was a lot like the main character in The Little Princess. How did you like the ending? I was sort of hoping for Despereaux to end up with Princess Pea.
-emily

Samara.orkin@gmail.com said...

To Bentley- I liked this book too! Fairy tales are one of my favorite types of stories. Princess is great! I completely agree with your thoughts. I think the coolest part is that the book is three stories in one like you said. What makes it so great is how they all tie in together. What makes you decide to describe Princess Pea as peaceful?
-Samara

BookDore said...

to Henri (6)- On the poll I totally chose Gregory as my favorite too! He's a very important character, and rather nice too. If he hadn't saved Despereaux by hiding him in the napkin, the rats would have gotten Despereaux and...end of story. He is also the only character that can tell the rats what to do (when he tells them not to chew his rope). The hard question is: which character is your least favorite between Miggery Sow and Roscuro?
~Lisa

BookDore said...

To Eli (4th)-

What did you think of the book overall? I thought it was fun to read because there was so much adventure. Which characcter was your least favorite? I didn't like Roscuro at first, but by the end, I saw a different side of him. Were you happy with the ending? I thought it had a good fairy tale ending, where everyone seems to end up happy, but I had expected Princess Pea and Desepereaux to end up together. (although they are a very unlikely couple!)

BookDore said...

To Olivia:

I, too, liked Despereaux; he is very independent and courageous! The characters did fit in the story really well. It was neat to see several characters' point of view, and how they all intersected.

What did you think about the mouse council? Did you think they were fair to Despereaux?

What was your favorite scene in the book? Mine was when Despereaux saved himself by telling Gregory the jailer a story. It reminded me of Scheherazade saving herself by telling the stories of the 1001 Arabian Nights.

-Casey

BookDore said...

To Ellye-
I agree, the book was really exciting. I liked how there were three different stories but that were all connected. Who is your favorite character? Mine is Princess Pea. Do you have a favorite part? My favorite part is when Despereaux and Princess Pea first meet. I think it's really sweet!
Happy reading,
Melissa

BookDore said...

To Emily (5th)- I liked the book too! I thought the story was cute and loved the pictures. My favorite picture was of the rat with the spoon on his head, it was so silly. One thing about the story I did not like was that the narrator kept referring to us as "reader". In class, when we talked about that, many people liked being directly spoken to, did you?
-Emily

BookDore said...

To Avery:

I also loved that the story was about a mouse. I thought the red string was a great part of the adventure when Despereaux goes into the dungeon. What was your favorite scene in the story?

BookDore said...

Hey Patrick,I love how sweet and selfless Despereaux is, like you said going down to the jail without knowing what he was getting himself into. Hes so geniue and caring, especially in his relationship with Princess Pea. Hes such a good role model in the fact he never gives up and never gets frusterated even though people treat him badly. What did you think of Roscuro?

BookDore said...

To Katie,
I really liked how there were different points of view in the book too! Who were your favorite characters in the book? Mine were Despereaux and Miggery Sow.

BookDore said...

to Patrick (5th)- I think it is really cool that the mouse had courage to do what he was afraid of. That's a good lesson to learn because standing up to others when you're scared is good! Making new friends is also a fun thing to do! Did you like all of the characters? I thought Roscuro was a very mean rat and did not like how he tricked the jailor.

BookDore said...

To Avery,
I love books with animals too! Could you relate Despereaux with a pet? It was really interesting that the mouse could read especially since it made him so different from the other mice. I like when people can act like themselves! It was definitely very creative. Was Despereaux your favorite character? If yes, why? If not, why not?

kossoycj said...

To Thomas,
I love how there are three stories in one. I think you have an interesting idea about how humans and rodents interact. I think we overlook them and immediately think they are all bad, but you never know when someone will surprise you! Also, its interesting to see how mice view us. It also shows us that it is important to be different and not to be the same as everyone else in our society. What is it about these interactions so special to you? How do you think we should view rodents and treat them?

-Colby

BookDore said...

to Henri (6) - I thought the rats were a nice addition to the story as well. My favorite character would have to be Desperaux, because he always tried his hardest to fight for what he thought was important. What was your favorite scene from the book?
- Christie

BookDore said...

To Micah (4th) - I agree. I really did like the book and the plot was amazing. I really liked reading about a mouse who was in love with a human princess because it allowed me to use my imagination, since nothing like this would ever happen in real life. Roscuro was an interesting character. I also agree that his whole journey throughout the book was to find and live in the light. I do have a question for you. What did you think about the relationship Despereaux had with the Mouse Council? Do you think they treated him fairly?

-Judy

BookDore said...

To Thomas,
I liked how the story was broken up into three parts. The different ideas that the characters have about each other make the book interesting. You have to remember that people are not always what they seem to be. You must remember to look at each characters point of view. How did you like the end of the book? Did you feel like each character was understood?
-Briannah

BookDore said...

To George-
I absolutely agree. When I read the book I literally could not put it down. I love those types of books. When you read the first page and do not even notice how much you have read until you are closing the book and you are done. What was your favorite part of the book? Was there anything you would change? I really liked how all of the characters were connected. Everybody had a vital role in the story.

BookDore said...

Sorry George, I forgot to mention my name.
~Shannon

BookDore said...

To Bentley- I loved this book! I am definitely a fan of fairy tales. I was in love with Cinderella when I was younger, and Princess Pea reminds me of her! I love how Princess Pea is so sweet to Desperaux. What did you think of the King?
-Meghan

BookDore said...

To Avery--I am so sorry this has taken me so long to figure out! I am Renee.. not sure if Despereaux is still on your mind..but I loved your comments. I also found that Despereux was a really interesting character. He is brave, creative, and unique. However, what did you think about the ending? I was a little surprised that Desperearux did not end up with the Princess afterall! What do you think?

BookDore said...

To Eli:

Who was your favorite character in the book? My favorite character was Princess Pea because she seemed very pleasant and nice. I am glad that she and Desperaux became best friends in the end.